Monday, November 8, 2010

Change

This is a devotion/reflection that I wrote last year (almost two years ago now), but I was thinking about "change" so I wanted to share it now.

----------------------

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose... For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Romans 8:28, 38-39 (NIV)

CHANGE – That’s a word we’ve certainly heard a lot lately. What’s the old expression, "everything changes except death and taxes" or "the only thing that stays the same is that everything changes"? We face changes in our lives all the time… and some are easier to accept than others. I remember when my husband and I were writing our marriage vows, one of the lines was something along the lines of a commitment not to avoid changes but to navigate them successfully. We all know to expect changes – it’s how we deal with them that matters.

As Christians, we know that the one thing that will never change is God – He is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. The nature and person of God never changes. No matter what we face in life, God will always be there for us. We can have confidence and assurance that He will help us through it.

A while ago I made a wallet card for my husband that had a quote from a book he was reading on one side and a Scripture passage on the other. The quote from the book was, "Lord, You got me into this… I’m trusting in you to get me out of it" and the Scripture passage Proverbs 3:5 that says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding." These two quotes serve as a reminder that we should put our trust in God and He will help us to navigate through the changes we face in our lives.

So change is not something to fear… it is something to look forward to with expectation and hope. God says, "I know the plans I have for you – plans to prosper you, not to harm you." So let’s trust God’s plan and look at these changes as positive rather than negative and something to be feared.

No comments: